Friday, 5 September 2014

Five for Friday - First Week Style

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for their famous 5 for Friday linky.  I'm not going to lie, I am very very tired.  This was our first week back.  I will do my best to be as coherent as possible.
We launched our Daily 5 with Read to Self.  My students were very keen on this.  Apparently, they LOVE to read!!!  They already have built up to 10 minutes!!
We did some team building activities.  We started with Save Fred.  For some reason, I didn't get any pictures of it.  But I found a great prezi to introduce the activity.  Save Fred
The next team building activity we did was The Marshmallow Challenge.  I used Meg at The Teacher Studio's pack.  All of the activities in this are amazing!  If you don't already have it, I highly recommend it!!
They had so much fun with this!
For this activity, you place three cups (we used red Solo cups) side by side facing down.  On top of each cup, place a cup right side up.  Take an elastic band.  Tie a string to each of the four 'corners' of the elastic band.  Put your students into groups of four.  Each person holds one string.  They must work as a team to lift the top three cups (mine all did it one-by-one), flip them over, and create a pyramid.  They may not touch the elastic or the cups with their hands.  Fun, right?

I just wanted to let you know that this was the hottest week of the Summer.   Welcome back to our third floor, un-airconditioned classroom.  LOL!

5 comments:

  1. We also just finished our first week of school, how exhausting. Great team building activities! I think we might try to incorporate them next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on surviving the first week- I'm exhausted too! The marshmallow activities look like fun- wish I still taught fourth grade.

    KinderIrick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my! I know what you mean about hot classrooms! Here in Connecticut in the US, we had coolish weather most of the summer. Low humidity. School started, and all of a sudden it was 90 and humid! Ugh! Here's hoping the upcoming week is a lot more comfortable! I love the team-building activities you did. I might like to incorporate some of those ideas next year. I'll be pinning them! Thanks for sharing!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete
  4. Third floor unairconditioned?!?! OUCH! I'm glad you survived!! It looks like you were doing some fun activities, though, so the kids probably didn't notice as much! I hope it cools down for you next week! I love your anchor chart, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No a/c!! Oh bless your heart!!! Looks like you had a great week otherwise!

    ReplyDelete