Sunday, 22 June 2014

Student Vote and End of Year Freebie

Look at me! Two days in a row! Whoot whoot! In Ontario we recently had an election, and my class and I were fortunate enough to participate in Student Vote.  This was an incredible program to show children under the age of 18 how the voting process works.  My students absolutely loved it!  There were well-laid out powerpoints discussing such topics as:  the different types of government in the world, rights and responsibilities of citizens, levels of government...  They also sent us actual voting booths, voting boxes and ballots.  My class loved it!

Our ballots were counted, data was submitted, and results were provided to us.  Fantastic!  If you are in Canada, consider participating in this fabulous program.

I am linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for my last week of school!!!
 Our last week is only four days long.  Friday is a P.A. Day to get our rooms ready for the summer, meet with new staff, tidy up, etc.  Tomorrow and Tuesday we are going to be working on these memory books.  They are free in my TpT shop.  I have created two different versions - one for those who like the word 'favorite', and one for those who prefer 'favourite'.  I hope you can find it useful!  (Click on the picture to get it.)
We might have to eat some popsicles one day.  The third floor can get pretty hot in June!!!  On our last day we will enjoy Board Game Day.  Children are bringing their favourite board games and using mine.  It seems like they spend so much time on computer games, so it's nice to see them enjoying a board game.  A treat might appear as well.  I'm off to enjoy the rest of my Sunday!  Take care everyone!
 

4 comments:

  1. That is so neat! I'm thinking about doing a mock vote in the fall when we do our local election. I think the kids would love it.


    Meagan
    oodlesofteachingfun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Favorite vs. Favourite. Ha ha! Several months ago I declared that I was now going to start spelling words like color 'colour' etc., the British way. Then I forgot....I just kinda get a kick out of spelling those words differently, yet correctly. ; )
    Hope this next week goes by super duper fast for you!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun for your kids! Wish we did something like this!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Student Vote looks fantastic! I may be crazy but I love elections and the whole primary process. I hope a version of this will be available for American students some day soon. Thanks.

    Michael
    The Color of Sound

    ReplyDelete