Tuesday, 20 May 2014

Tried it Tuesday - Monster Writing

I am linking up with Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for:
This is an awesome idea copied 100% from Alyssa at Teaching in the Fast Lane.
On Saturday, she posted about her simultaneous writing idea and I loved it!  Read her post here to get all of the information.  I did exactly what she suggested.  We read "Where the Wild Things Are".
Then at their table groups of six, they each got out a different colour of marker.  I gave them each a blank piece of paper.  Then I timed about 15 seconds for each person to start drawing their monster. I said:  "Markers up!" and they rotated their page clockwise.  We repeated the process until they ended up with their own pages.  Then I gave them a minute to do any finishing touches.  Here is one of them.
Next I gave them each a piece of lined paper.  This time I gave 1 minute.  They each started to write about their monster.  When time was up they rotated the writing and picture clockwise.  We kept this up until all six people had a chance to contribute to the story.  The originator started and ended his/her own story.  Everyone wrote like crazy!  There were no students sitting there staring into space saying "I don't know what to write about!"  Alyssa, you're a genius!
I love this idea so much and can't wait to do it again!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea! I'll need to find the book in French before I try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! Pinned for future reference!! Awesome:)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely saving this idea - I think it might be a great "first days of school" activity to get everyone engaged! :)

    ReplyDelete