Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Tried It Tuesday-Dance Mat Typing

Happy Tuesday!  Today I am linking up with Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tried It Tuesday.
Today I'm going to show you a great free website to help your students learn proper keyboarding skills.  In this day and age it is essential that children develop this skill, and it's so hard to correct once they've learned the two finger typing method.  (I know several adults who still type with two fingers!)
The website is called Dance Mat Typing.
There are 4 levels - each one introducing a certain row or letter/number combination.  Beginners start at Level 1.  It introduces the home row first (with cute talking characters), shows you and tells you about proper fingering.
Here is an example from Level 4.  I like how the keys are coloured to indicate which finger should press which key.
My students really enjoy this website.  It is very friendly and easy to use.  I hope you found this useful.  :-)

9 comments:

  1. I think I would love this website! I had this "type right" thing when I was younger that I played with ALL the time. It was a keyboard with a game for learning typing and speed. My students could benefit from this today. Thanks so much for sharing and linking up! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dance Mat Typing - my favourite part - the British accents!! My kids love it too - only wish we had time to use it more - I even have my daughetrs use it at home : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! This looks incredible for ALL ages! With state testing moving toward computer based responses, this will be perfect for kids to learn the proper typing technique! Awesome!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this site in the past, but haven't used it in a couple of years! Thanks for reminding me about it!!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love those free websites! I agree that typing skills are essential (especially with our state test becoming one that needs keyboarding skills), but I really struggle with finding the time to fit it in. We used to have a keyboarding teacher at school but she moved up to the middle school two years ago, then it was all up to the classroom teachers. Needless to say, our typing skills aren't great. But if I remember, I didn't learn to type until high school...so much to do, so little time. :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I have seen this before, but haven't tried it yet. I'm all over it!!!! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey – great blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a really nice platform you are using. I’m currently using WordPress for a few of my blogs but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?
    dance mat typing

    ReplyDelete
  8. his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.
    dance mat typing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.
    bbc dance mat typing home row

    ReplyDelete