Sunday, 23 March 2014

A Peek at My Week-March 24-28

I'm linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at My Week.
Mrs. Laffin's Laughings
Before delving into the upcoming week, let me tell you a bit about last week.  We used 'Thunder Cake' by Patricia Polacco for our shared reading and mentor sentence.  You can't do 'Thunder Cake' without making cake, right?  Here is a link to the recipe from Amanda Madden.  The cake was a hit!  We made it on a cloudy gloomy Thursday.  Only one student did not love it.  We also looked at some myths and wrote our own class myth to explain why we have recess.  It was great!

(Cute corner border frames by Mad Clips Factory.)
Now for this week:
In literacy we are continuing to look at myths and legends - noting similarities and differences between the two.  Then we are going to write our own myth or legend.  They are pretty excited about it!  The myths connect nicely to our social studies unit.  Our curriculum changed so now Grade 4's study Ancient Civilizations from 3000 BCE-1500 CE - a huge period of time, right?!  We are going to touch upon Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome... and focus in more detail on Medieval Times in preparation for our end of year field trip.
In math we are 'remembering' how to tell time and calculate elapsed time.  I had to buy an analog clock for our classroom...  At our new school, all of the clocks are digital.   (What are your thoughts about analog time?  At my children's homes all of the clocks and watches are digital.)
In science we are finishing up our unit on Sound.  We rotated through our stations last week.
Now, here's for the best part!  My iPhone has been having trouble taking non-blurry photos lately.  Thanks to Apple Care, a brand new iPhone will be delivered to my door tomorrow or Tuesday.  So I should be able to finally post good photos again.  Phew!

6 comments:

  1. That Thundercake sounds pretty good. With the sour cream, it must have been really moist. And isn't it the dangdest thing when you make something that's all chocolate, and there'll be at least one stinkin' kid who won't like it. Hahaha! I never understand that.

    Seems weird to learn about ancient civilizations in 4th grade. Our kids learn that in 6th grade. The 4th graders learn about our state history, 5th graders learn about our American history. I'd love to teach world history though. Fun for you! There's all kinds of cool projects you can do with ancient civilizations. Mummifying a chicken, making a sarcophagus, building the Great Wall of China with tissue boxes, soap carvings....I envy you.

    I believe in teaching analog time. The school we're holing up in until June just has digital clocks, and we were told when we get back to our school, all the analogs are gone and digitals put in place. The 1st and 2nd grade teachers are having a tizzy. How will they teach time?

    Have fun with your new iPhone! : )

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using Patricia Polacco books!! She is amazing! I love your cake idea, I'll have to remember that! I go back and forth about analog clocks. We have all analog clocks at our school so the kids do get practice using them, however most of them don't have any other experience with them other than school. I see that it's important that they learn to read them.... not everywhere has digital...BUT most places do, right?!! I could go back and forth all night. Good luck!
    Ana
    Mrs. Bentin's Blackboard

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's seems that analog clocks will be the next cursive debate. Some people think there is no need for cursive anymore because everything is electronic. My opinion is to have well rounded learners who can read both digital and analog clocks and write both print and cursive. It's always better to know too much than not enough! LOL! Have a great week!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having Thundercake!! Sounds delicious! Analog clocks... I haven't given it much thought! My initial thought is that watching time tick by on an analog clock would probably help kids understand the overall concept of minutes, hours, and elapsed time. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made that Thunder Cake last year! It was so yummy and made the room smell so awesome as it cooked in the crock pot. Yum!!

    We are studying mythology next quarter. Can't wait!! It's always a favorite with the kids.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apple Care has been awesome to me! I love speaking to them on the phone! Have a great week! :)
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete