Friday, 14 February 2014

Music-Mix-Math

We had a great Valentine's Day (considering it was a big old full moon)!  We did some Valentine's Day problem solving using Music-Mix-Math which you can download free from Laura Candler -  here.  This was such an engaging activity for my children!  I created four Valentine's problems - 2 per side per page.  I told the children to walk quickly around the room (with pencil and paper) changing direction often.  When the music stopped they partnered up with the person closest to them - who they could work well with.  Then they read problem number 1, discussed it, and each wrote a solution on the paper.  The music resumed.  They walked around again.  When the music stopped, they found a new partner, discussed question 1 to see if they had the same answer, and explained the reasoning if they didn't.  Then this new pair worked on question 2.  The process repeated until the 4 questions were solved and checked.  I gave only a few minutes per question.  They were 100% on task!  Give it a try!  Here is a picture of my lovelies hard at work and the music I used today.  Happy Valentine's Day!

7 comments:

  1. I love this activity. I do not teach math, but I can certainly find a way to adapt it to language arts. Thank you for sharing!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! It was a crazy day yesterday. Sugar overload AND a full moon! (I should have called in sick.) Good for you for finding a fun way to spend the day.

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun activity! I need to try this next week!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this! Great way to get the kids up and around. My squiggly-wigglies would love this!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your ideas for getting kids moving around. I am always looking for new ways to get the kids moving especially if we keep having indoor recess!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can't wait to try this with my 6th graders! We've already played scoot, and we've solved problems around the room. But music? CAN'T WAIT. :)

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete