Thursday, 2 January 2014

Thursday Throw Down - Media Style

Today I am linking up with Erin of I'm Lovin' Lit for her Thursday Throw Down.  This is a linky to show ways you make learning more interactive for your students.
My favourite type of writing is persuasive writing - and I love to connect it to advertisements, commercials, media.  We will watch this awesome little video to get their minds a whirling:
This will (hopefully) spark a discussion on thinking about advertising.  We will talk about how the advertiser only says the positive things about the product so we need to use our brains and think think think!  We will watch several different commercials and complete this flippable created from Erin's Ultimate Interactive Notebook Template Collection.
We will end our unit by creating commercials in small groups and presenting them to the class.  I'll keep you posted!  
We have a windchill warning here - it's -36 Celsius/-33 Fahrenheit windchill right this minute.  It's so ridiculous that I'm not going to leave my house!  Stay warm, Friends!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Love the House Hippo Commercial. I am definitely going to use this when I begin discussing commercials and media this month! Thank you!
    Kaitlin
    K&C Love Grade 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this, Lisa! I am going to go add this RIGHT NOW into my Edmodo account. PERFECT! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holey moley!! -36 is rediculous!! You stay put! I hope you have enough food and don't need to go anywhere. That is not a fun temperature!!!!
    Ps - I kinda wish those house hippos were real. I want one!
    Erin
    Learning to be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Definitely stealing this video and activity. Short, sweet, and soooo perfect!
    :) Erin
    I'm Lovin Lit

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video is perfect! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that you're focusing on advertising - it can be so insidious! I even made sure my own children were savvy in this area. Happy New Year to you!
    Susanna
    Whimsy Workshop Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea, especially making your own commercials! My kids would really get into this. Thanks for the idea!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE the video!! Stay warm!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey!
    Just letting you know I've nominated you for an award!! Check out my blog here to find out more :)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete