Sunday, 8 December 2013

Peek at my Week - Dec. 8

I have been absolutely MIA!  This was an unbelievably crazy and busy week - and I ended it with the nasty achy flu.  Boo!  On the bright side, I'm ready to link up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.
My evenings are much more free this week!  Thank goodness!
Literacy:
We will be using Trouble with Trolls by Jan Brett for our shared reading and mentor sentence work.  We will be using a mentor sentence from the text to review the use of quotation marks.  Click here to read about the book on Jan Brett's awesome website.  Instead of a Paragraph of the Week, we will be doing a Sentence of the Day to test out our quotation mark knowledge!
Math:
In math, we are learning about money - counting up, making change, adding, and subtracting money (decimals).  My teacher candidate has lots of amazing activities planned for my little friends.  I'll send you pictures later on in the week.
Science/Netbooks:
In science, we are using SMART Notebook to create a display about a rock or mineral.  Each student chose a different rock/mineral so we will learn so much from each presentation!  My children can now animate objects...  They have a hard time moving past this though.  Lol!  They keep playing with all of the different effects - flip, fade in... "Come see this one, Mrs. B!"  We should be presenting by Thursday.
Art:
In art, we are creating monochromatic art.  They had to choose a shape.  Draw the shape in various sizes overlapping.  Then in each section they will paint a different tint or shade of the colour they choose.  Click here to see where I found the idea and see some examples.  Tomorrow we are going to simply explore the different tints and shades we can make on a strip of adding machine tape.
So it will be another busy but fun week.  Talk to you soon! :)

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of each student making a presentation for a rock or mineral-very engaging and gives them ownership. Do you teach art to your class?
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the art idea. I may have to try it. Don't be surprised if you see it on my blog in the new year! :)
    Faith

    ReplyDelete
  3. FEEL BETTER, Lisa! It's no fun being sick during this time of year...actually it's no fun ever!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete