Sunday, 22 September 2013

Terry Fox - A Canadian Hero

Happy Sunday!  Today I am linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.
Before I start with my upcoming week, here are a few pictures from yesterday's Run or Dye 5 km race.  This is where you walk or run 5 km in a very fun and low pressure environment.  As you pass through the race course, there are certain colour stations where people throw coloured cornstarch powder on you.  The result is very - um - bright!  This was the first time my city had held this event and it was sold out to the tune of 5000 participants.  Here are some of the people waiting to begin.  (It had just poured rain!!!)

Here we are before the race...

I'm sad to report that my silver crown blew away during the first kilometre or two...  And here is the end.  :) 

My mom's the one on the left in the white garbage bag, as it had started to pour rain again after we finished.  Isn't she a trouper?  Check out my hot pink legs!  Crazy!  (My toes are still pink after two showers.)

Now onto my week.  This week we are using Terry Fox: A Story of Hope for our shared reading, writing, and mentor sentence work.  Terry Fox was an incredible young man who attempted to run across Canada with a prosthetic leg to raise money for cancer.  It was his hope to collect $1 for each Canadian.  Part way through his journey, the cancer returned and he was unable to finish his journey.  He had run a marathon each day (42 km/26 miles) for 143 days straight!  In celebration of Terry's life, they hold a National School Run Day which is this Thursday, September 26th.  If you would like to learn more about Terry Fox, here is an excellent video that I showed my class.  It is only 9 minutes long.
Keeping up with the running theme... our school's Running Club starts this Tuesday (and Thursday) before school.  Our school has a strong and HUGE running team... It's so fun starting your day with a run with so many children.  Thursday is also our Open House where I will get to finally meet those parents I have not already had the pleasure of meeting.  I hope your week is also great!

3 comments:

  1. We just watched that video on Friday. I can't wait for Thursday's Terry Fox Run - always a fantastic school event :)
    Have a great week Lisa! Hope your open house goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was such a great event to share with you and the other fabulous ladies! This will be an inspiring week with the Terry Fox run! Have a great week, your Majesty!

    Nicci

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the race. It looks like it was a fun one! I love that your school has a running club. It's so important to teach the importance of good health at an early age.

    Thank you for posting the very inspiring video.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete