Tuesday, 17 September 2013

I Actually Won Something + Tried It Tuesday

Hello Tuesday!  I am sooooo happy!  I just got an email from Caitlin at Miller's Science Space informing me that I won the rafflecopter for her editable newsletters!  Have you seen these?  They are great!  You can find them here.  Thank you so much Caitlin!
I would also like to link up with Holly at Fourth Grade Flipper for her Tried It Tuesdays (my first one).
I would like to share with you how I'm doing my Reader's Notebooks.  I bought spiral notebooks (for ten cents each).  On the front, the children decorated this cover and I glued it on - because I am a wee bit uptight about the covers being straight and centred.  (Click the cover to go to the Doodle Art Alley website to get the subject specific covers.)
Then we flipped the spiral notebooks upside down and I glued this on:
The beautiful background is from Covered in Glitter and Glue's Black and White Binder Covers, and the font is my new favourite - 'Hello Chalk Talk' - and it's available free from Jen at Hello Literacy.  I wasn't sure how well it would work having the students flip the book but it has not been any problem at all!  I think having the covers glued on really helps.  On the Mentor Sentence side we are, of course, doing Jivey's awesome Mentor Sentence work.  I had never even heard of Mentor Sentences before reading all of your blogs in the Spring, but I LOVE them!  My favourite part is day 4.  If you would like to learn more about Mentor Sentences, click here.  I hope your day was as great as mine!

9 comments:

  1. You find the best linky parties! I love your Monday and your Tuesday one! These would help me do more posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out, Lisa! I hope you enjoy your newsletters :)

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet the kids are achin' to color the cover of that reading journal. Great cover!
    So is the front of the notebook for reading, and the back (flipped upside down) the mentor sentences?

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Ali. The Mentor Sentences are based on our shared reading... so I figured they could go together in the same book but I wanted the Mentor Sentence work grouped together. :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the win! That's always a fun e-mail to receive! :)

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I like the idea of flipping the book!! Let me know how it turns out and I might try it next year.
    Erin
    The E-Z Class

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa...I can't believe this is your first Tried it Tuesday. It doesn't seem possible! Glad you linked up with Holly! Great idea about the notebooks. I am doing a math spiral, but we didn't do anything cutesy to the covers....yet.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for linking up. I can't wait to see how your mentor sentences are going. We just started using them this week!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your winnings, Lisa! I have yet to receive an email like that from a fellow blogger... :)
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete