Tuesday, 3 September 2013

First Day, Fred, and Locker Woes

Well the first day of school has come and gone.  It was exciting to meet all of my new friends and begin to get to know them.  They are all so different and have such interesting things to share with us.  I feel like my class is very boy heavy this year but in reality it isn't.  :)  We read (and they loved) "First Day Jitters".  But most of them told me that their favourite part of the day was Saving Fred!  They worked in groups of four to save Fred.  I particularly love this picture that shows how well each group member participated in this activity.
I feel like I'm way behind in what I wanted to do today because we spent WAY too much time trying to learn how to open the locks for their lockers!!!  It was so hard for them.  Does anyone else have lockers for such a young age?  Any tricks on helping them open them?  I drew a diagram...  worked with them one-on-one...  Ahhhhhhh!  Maybe they should just keep their things in the lockers but not put any locks on them.
On a brighter note, I put washi tape around my "Show What You Know" board and think it looks so much better. 
Finally, here's my Learning Goal Board.  I'm sure it will surprise you that my learning goal colours match the colours of the students' duotangs/notebooks for each subject.  (red-language, blue-math, green-science...)  :)  I hope you had a great day!

5 comments:

  1. My kids loved saving Fred too, so glad you had a great first day!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did Saving Fred today too, loved it! Sorry no lockers, so no locker woes :)
    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lockers? WOW! I'm impressed that you still have enough energy to blog about it. Love your Show What You Know board with the washi tape. I AM going to purchase some of that stuff if it's the last thing I ever do! Happy first day!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first day sounds awesome Lisa! (Aside from the locker trouble, those things are tricky!) I'll have to look into this Saving Fred thing. My copy of First Day Jitters is here with me = )
    - Melissa
    Teacher Abroad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a good first day. I can imagine that fourth graders with lockers would be a challenge.

    Your Show What You Know board looked great before, but washi tape can make anything look better.

    Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete