Sunday, 1 September 2013

A Peek at my Week

I am linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week!
Monday:
Tomorrow is a holiday - and the day before school starts.  So, of course, I am going to pop into school for some finishing touches... sharpen pencils, put temporary names on desks, and hang up these!!!
My wonderful niece, Claire, has worked her 'bee magic' again.  She made me five bees to hang around my room.  Too bad we aren't allowed to hang anything from the ceiling.  Wouldn't they be adorable hanging?
Tuesday:
On the first day of school, we will be working on routines, routines, routines.  We are going to read 'First Day Jitters'  and do the 'Save Fred' activity to see how each member works in a group.  (I'm not sure where to find gummy lifesavers...  If anyone has an idea, that would be great.)  We will also talk about how to pick 'just right' books.  At the end of the day, I'm going to hand out these gift bags that Claire and my step-daughter Rachel worked very hard on last night.  They are such great helpers.
Wednesday:
We have a big school-wide assembly on Wednesday.  The 850 students will be introduced to the teachers.  It will be so nice to be all together.  We will be continuing our shared reading with 'First Day Jitters' and, of course, Jivey's awesome Mentor Sentence work!  (Click here to get her Mentor Sentence Bundle.)
Thursday:
In writer's workshop we will be talking about generating ideas.  We will discuss 'fake reading vs real reading' and what each looks like.  We will do the 'Words Their Way' assessment to see where each little darling is in his/her word work ability.
Friday:
On Friday, we will be TIRED!  :)
I'm excited to get back into routine!  And now all of you blogging friends who started school in August (or July!  Yikes!) will be so much happier that we are all working.  Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. You should be able to find Gummy Lifesavers in the candy section of any store or pharmacy. I was talking to my teaching partner about that Save Fred activity the other day, trying to figure out if I wanted to do it. Sounds like a lot of people are or have, so maybe I will too. Have a good first day back!

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    I didn't buy Gummy Lifesavers, but bought chewy candy rings (kind of like gumdrops). They were a bit larger so I thought it might be a little easier.

    I start school on Tuesday as well! I hope you have a great day and week!!

    Thanks for linking up!!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of your helpers! You can get gummy savers at any store-I got mine at Dollar Tree-your kids will LOVE it! Super activity for the first week! Can't wait to see if you do it!
    Good luck this week!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bees! What a talented niece you have!

    Enjoy your first week back. It looks like you have some great opening activities planned.

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your first day back! Save Fred is a great activity, my kids love it when I did it last year in Science!

    ~Bagby
    Math Madness

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my gummy LifeSavers at Dollar Tree also. When the girls are finished helping you, you can send them my way. Have a great first week back!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those bees are too adorable! What are in the gift bags?

    Have a great first day!

    Lindsey
    The Journey of a Beginning Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooo, could you send your helpers over to my place when you are done with them? Hehe. No but seriously, I cannot wait until my son is old enough and wants to help mommy with school stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete