Sunday, 8 September 2013

A Peek at my Week and Forgotten Items...

I am linking up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings for A Peek at my Week.
This is a pretty crazy week school-wise and appointment-wise.  I have something scheduled everyday after school from staff meetings to haircuts.  This school week is nearly like the first week of school again.  On Monday, I have my Grade 3/4 class that I had last week, but for the very last time.  Then on Tuesday, I say "Good-bye" to my Grade 3's and welcome a new batch of Grade 4's.  (Yay for a straight grade!)  So Tuesday will be like the first day of school again.  Back to learning routines. We will be reading the book Enemy Pie by Derek Munson and using it for our mentor sentence work.  We will be working on place value and number sense.  For a starting activity, I bought Cord Style Name Badges.  In each plastic pouch I am going to put a card with a number on it.  I will walk around the room putting the badge necklaces on the back of the students - so they can't see what number they have.  Then they will walk around the room asking yes or no questions to classmates in order to determine their number.  I'll post a picture for you later in the week.  I can't wait to finally get started with Interactive Notebooks this week!
One of my super lovely SLANT box partners Terry at First At Bat has asked me to post about some of the things I have forgotten to get before school started or wish I had, and any things that I might enjoy from the United States.  I would have to say the things I forgot were things I thought I had at school but realized I didn't, such as colourful paper clips, erasers, and little note pads. I also wish I could find the Sharpie Flip Chart Markers with a chisel tip.  Have you tried these?  They write so nicely in bright beautiful colours and don't bleed through.  They used to have them at our Staples but I haven't been able to find them in the past two years.  I also wonder why all the delicious cinnamon-flavoured candies appear in Canada, hook me, then disappear...  We used to have cinnamon Certs, cinnamon Mentos, cinnamon everything... Why no more?  Grade 4's study rocks and minerals.  Wouldn't it be interesting to look at little rocks/pebbles/minerals from other parts of North America - like Florida?  How's that for a few ideas?  Now it's your turn.  What kind of things do you wish you had for your classroom but don't have yet?  Enjoy a great night!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the chisel tip Sharpies! They are so versatile, writing a line line one way and a thick another. I have a dozen black ones at school that we (kiddos and I both) use for everything. Ah, cinnamon! LOVE it in all forms! Have a GREAT week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great number sense activity. I'm sure your students will love it!

    Have a great week! Talk to you soon...

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your week sounds awesome! If I ever get my own class I'm going to steal some of your mentor sentences = )
    - Melissa
    Teacher Abroad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you....your post will help me out SOOOOO much!!

    ReplyDelete