Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Show Us Your Read-Alouds

Today I am linking up with Tracey at The Teacher's Chair for her School Week Linky Show Us Your... Favorite Read-Alouds.
Now who doesn't love a good great read-aloud!  I remember being read to for as long as I can remember - and I can remember a long way back!  The read-aloud that I have chosen to share is one of my all-time favourite fun read-alouds.  There is no deep underlying message, but it sure does demonstrate a great example of point of view.  I know it will totally shock people who know me, but my book is about an orange cat (of which I might have 3...).
As you can see from the cover, Chester the cat is trying to take over Melanie Watt's book.  He is not at all happy that there is a mouse in the story with him.  (All of Chester's writing is in red marker.)  If you have not read it, you must.  With your students, you could discuss point of view, compare and contrast Melanie and Chester, rewrite the story from the poor mouse's point of view... so many options.

On another note, I finally bought a laminator.  I was sooooo envious of all the stuff everyone else was making and I LOVE the thickness of the 5 mil plastic!  It is so much thicker and nicer than the school laminators.  All I can say is Wow!  Enjoy the rest of your day.  :)

-Lisa

8 comments:

  1. I love this book! I usually read in at the beginning of a focus on point of view. My fourth graders (and I) think it's hilarious!

    I like your idea to write the story from the mouse's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! When this book came out, we actually had a lovely orange cat named Chester. I could just picture him saying those crazy things.
      -Lisa

      Delete
  2. I just love Melanie Watt! I just mentioned her book, Scaredy Squirrel, in my post. LOL

    Thanks for sharing this one...

    Tina
    Flamingos and Butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scaredy Squirrel is also awesome! I'm going to check yours out now. :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of laminator did you get?
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got the Staples one, Mary. My friend had purchased it a couple of months ago and recommended it.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the book recommendation! It sounds like a good one.

    Glad to hear that you are enjoying your laminator! So much joy for such little money... :)

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love that idea, writing from the mouse's point of view. I'm always looking for new books to teach point of view with!
    Great post :)

    Sam
    Fun With Firsties

    ReplyDelete