Wednesday, 17 July 2013

Setting Up My Math Workshop

Today I am linking up for my first ever Workshop Wednesday with Ideas By Jivey!  I'm going to talk about setting up my Math Workshop.  I have just been doing a lot of thinking so far and am open to suggestions...

My thoughts so far are to use the M.A.T.H. format on Tuesdays and Thursdays as discussed in this awesome post by Elizabeth at Fun in 4B.  (M-Math Facts, A-At Your Seat, T-Teacher's Choice, H-Hands On)  I think I will call 'T' Teacher Time and have that be my guided math group time.

On the other three days, I would like to have the children do a quick Calendar Math as they enter.  I have used this one by Stephanie at Teaching in Room 6.  Thanks, Stephanie!  I would follow this with the Three-Part Lesson.

The Three-Part Lesson consists of Getting Started (connect to prior learning, set the context for learning), Working On It (introduce new learning, provide opportunities for practice and application), and Consolidation (help students demonstrate what they have learned, provide opportunities for sharing and reflection).  If you would like to see an example of a Three-Part Lesson, go to this post by Jennifer Runde.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  I would love to hear from you.
-Lisa

5 comments:

  1. Love these great resources you shared! Thank you for linking up! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I've pinned those resources, they're gold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Elizabeth's math rotation board using the word MATH - so smart! You and I seem to like a lot of the same resources :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Lisa Bee! I like these ideas from the other bloggers, too. Thanks so much!
    Nicci
    Chalet Ré

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    I randomly found you because we follow the same blog! Great tastes...same interests! Congrats on your blog, it is great!
    mb

    ReplyDelete