Thursday, 11 July 2013

Homework Thoughts on a Thursday

Do you think it's a problem that I had a dream last night that I was in my classroom and half of the children did not have their shoes on?  (If you know me, you would know that this would be quite upsetting for me.)  Crazy!

I have been busily reading people's posts, reflecting, and SLOWLY working my way through my To Do List.

Many people have been posting about their homework practices or asking what others do.  I am not a huge fan of assigning homework for the sake of assigning homework.  I think children's time with their families is precious.  Some children are only home and awake a few hours each school day.  Should they be doing homework during this time?  Now I expect my students to read each day - be it alone, with a sibling, with a parent...  I provide books for this if they wish.  I also send home a duotang each Monday with a Homework Newsletter in it.  My intent is that it shows the parents what we have been working on and they can get some sense of their child's understanding of it.

Here is an example of one of my newsletters:

What are your thoughts?  I would love to hear them.
-Lisa

5 comments:

  1. I love your newsletters! I haven't decided if I am going to do that this year or not...It would surely keep ME organized! I agree that family time should be a priority! This year I only had an at home reading program, and sometimes a family math activity/game. Thanks for putting the thoughts in my head to mull over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Lisa and as a parent, I agree that it is important to know what it is going on but also to have time to spend with family. Evenings are chaotic at my house and homework adds a lot of unnecessary stress, especially if it feels like "busy work".

    Have a read of this great article, written by a principal in BC. It really says a lot of what I feel.

    http://chriswejr.com/2010/10/13/homework-whys-and-homework-wise/

    Great work on your blog Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your newsletter. I love how interactive it is for parents and children. I nominated you for a Liebster Award! :) You can head over to my blog to learn more about it. I look forward to reading many more of your wonderful post! :)

    Allison
    Live, Love, Learn in Fourth Grade

    ReplyDelete